Outdoor swing sets are a great way for kids to either start or end their day. When choosing a swing set, many aspects of the playset should be considered. Of course, as a parent you want a safe and fun combination for your kids to burn off their seemingly endless energy.
The first public playground was installed in 1887 at the San Francisco’s Golden Gate park. But sometimes when you want to take the kids our to the playground it seems like such a long process. Loading and unloading the kids from their car seats. Maybe even packing extra clothing, and of course snacks. How great would it be to have this in your own backyard to use whenever you want and need. Wouldn’t it be great to have a scaled down park in your own backyard while you take 30 minutes to put dinner together?
How to Choose the Best Swing & Play Set
If you go with the cheapest swing set, it will most likely not have all the bells and whistles and will rust in no time. Your kids will loose interest before you know it. If you choose the most expensive play set, you will have to charge the neighbors admission to use the play set or even have your kids empty their piggy banks. We have put together some information that will help you choose the best swing set for your kids and maybe even your grandkids.
Lets get started! The average American family has more then one child and to accommodate both kids you will notice that this conversation with your partner will be very deep. How do you entertain a toddler and an 8 year old at the same time. Here are some questions you need to discuss?
- How many kids will you have and how many years apart?
- How many hours of entertainment do you want? Similar to a park setting based on how big your backyard is or just a simple playlet with a swing and slide?
- Are you constantly going to have friends, family and neighbors using the set?
- Number of children playing on swing set at the same time.
- How big is your backyard and what size playlet can you fit?
If two kids is your total party for most of the time, then a simple swing set with two swings would entertain them of hours. They won’t be fighting over space. If you are planning on entertaining more then two and the neighborhood kids then think about monkey bars, rock climbing, sandbox, slides and any other bells and whistles that will keep them entertained at the same time.
Measure your backyard and make sure you swings will go on a flat surface free of tree branches hanging in the air. Be sure you have room for your safety buffer zone all around the measured area. In addition, creating a safe play space is also critical. Over 200,000 American kids visit the hospital each year for playground related accidents. Falling on hard surfaces and/or operating on a swings that has not been put together properly.
The right swing set can provide years of entertainment for the kiddos so spending more then the bare minimum will be a good idea. You can spend about $180 at Walmart or target and get a metal frame with 2 swings and a plastic slide. But is this what you really want in your back yard to last for years? It most likely wont because there is a weight limit of about 100 pounds per swing and you will leave this behind as your kids grow just a little older. If you decide to buy a metal swing set be sure it has rust resistant paint. The better quality swing set and play set are made from redwood or cedar because of their strength. These swing set can cost anywhere from $400 to over $10,000. Putting together one of these heavy duty wooden playlets my take up to 20 hours. You may want to consider paying a professional to put it together.
Best Wooden Backyard Play & Swing Sets
- Our Tuscon swing set is one of our most popular swing sets for children featuring a playdeck with a colorful cover, 2 belt swings, a trapeze swing, a slide and a sandbox
- Roomy upper deck with colorful green and yellow canopy for shade and relaxing in this discovery playset
- Lower play area with a wooden sandbox for kids, a snack stand and a built-in bench
- Two standard belt swing set swings and a swing trapeze bar. An 8 foot slide for kids - super safe but speedy
- A rock climbing wall ladder adorns this cedar wood swing set; Sand required: 3 cu ft
- One of our most popular kid swing sets for kids outdoor featuring a play fort with slide, 2 belt swings, a trapeze swing, monkey bars and a sandbox
- Heavy duty Backyard Discovery kids fort with end gables and wood roof
- The swing set hardware includes a lower play area with wooden sandbox area, a built-in toy box and a pergola-covered lemonade stand
- Two standard belt plastic swing set swings and a trapeze swing . An 8 foot playground slide - super safe but speedy
- A rock climbing wall ladder and a standard ladder. A challenging monkey bars for backyard fun. Maximum children - 9
- A backyard playground big kid swing set with an upper backyard fort and a lower clubhouse, 2 belt swings, a glider swing and a slide
- Heavy duty Backyard Discovery kids fort with wood roof, sunburst gables and observation porch out front;Lumber pre-cut, pre-drilled
- This clubhouse swing set has a lower fort with windows with white trim, with side snack window that has a built-in bench
- Two standard belt swing set swings and a two-person swing set glider. An 8 foot playground slide - super safe but speedy
- A rock climbing wall ladder adorns this cedar works playset
- Comes ready-to-assemble with step-by-step assembly manual and all required hardware
- Heavy-duty vinyl canopy offers protection from the sun and provides shade and cooler temperatures
- Recommended for children aged 3 to 11 years
- Soft rubber grippy plastic coating on swing chains helps prevent pinches and recessed bolts prevent snagging
- Charming design is packed into a compact footprint that fits in virtually any yard
- Includes Alpine Wave Slide and Extreme Tube Slide for dueling slide action.
- Loaded with activities such as a climbing rock wall with rope, safe entry ladder, rope ladder, picnic table, sandbox, tic tac toe and much more.
- Includes 2 swings, ring/trapeze combo swing, steering wheel and telescope. Tongue & Groove Wood Roof featuring Sunbursts, Dormer and a Chimney
- UV protected swing chains have a soft rubber grippy plastic coating that helps prevent pinches and keeps chains cooler on hot days
- Meets and/or exceeds American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) safety standards for residential use only
Last update on 2020-07-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API